Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hoof Care

Ok. So I have been having problems with Thrush on my horses. I had been using a store bought thrush medicine that is green, thin, stinks and expensive. I would try to use a little each time but the liquid was so thin I always wasted some. At $10+ a bottle, I was getting kind of aggravated that I would waste so much and the horses still had thrush. The real owner of Scarlet (She's really just on loan) suggested that I mix water and plain bleach. She said this wasn't dangerous for the horses since they don't lick their hooves. So I got a small cosmetic spray bottle and mixed half bleach and half water together. I have used it to help clean the hooves. First, I scrape and brush the packed dirt and stuff out of the hoof. Then, I spray the hoof with the bleach and brush again. I may spray again and brush again if needed. Last I hold the hoof for a couple of seconds to allow the hoof to dry a little.

This has been a wonder! Their hooves all look (and smell) a lot better. THANKS, GIRL-FRIEND!!

No comments: