Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The dogs and goats

We bought 3 female goats when our one momma died. One of the females, the oldest, had already had a baby, which we brought with her as the third female. The other female was young, but old enough to breed. We quickly lost the oldest goat so now we have just 3. 2 young females and a young male. IT appears that the older of our 2 females is pregnant. We are expecting to have babies the middle of July. That will be perfect for county fair next year.

We also have een struggling with our dogs. I miss my Samson. We think instead of Lab and Rottweiler, he may have been Geat Dane and Rottweiler. I saw some Great Danes the other day and fell in love with their BIG heads. Since he died, we have had lots of trouble with Tama, our pure bred rottie. She went into a depression. All she would do is lay around (she was fairly fat) and she quit eating. We have had a time trying to get her back on track. We thought that in addition to the depression, she was allergic to the food we had switched to. She started losing hair and biting her feet. We tried several different treatments, starting with gioing back to a healthier food. We were giving her treatments for hot spots for her itching and nothing was working. We finally took her to the vet. This was about the same time our puppy started showing the same symptoms. We discovered that she had picked up mange. So now, a month after the vet, Tama has spunk, she had lost about 25 pounds during the non-working treatments, and she's got her appetite back and does more than just sit and scratch. They smell better too.

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yikes! Sorry about the mange. I'm glad that they're doing better now, though.

And how exciting to be expecting baby goats...and just in time for fair, too.

~Lisa

ps. Sorry for the late reply...but I'm sure you kinda know why. haha!

But if send me your address I can get your Pay It Forward goodie sent to you.
Twinville2 at yahoo dot com

Andrea said...

Oh my!!! Sounds like an ordeal. My older dog went into depression when my 2 year old lab went missing. It was horrible. My older dog and I would sit around being sad together. We were quite pathetic. But we didn't end up with mange!! I am glad you got that cleared up and I am glad she is feeling better.

And baby goats are so much fun!!! My Joe is all grown up.....my sister in law just bought two baby goats, they are so cute!!